In general, Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 guidelines also apply to documents on a site.
Duke faculty and staff have access to download Microsoft Office 365 through software.duke.edu. If you do not have access to your own computer, you might have access to Office Online which has browser-based versions of the same software.
- Make Your Excel Spreadsheets Accessible (Microsoft)
- Make Your PowerPoint Presentations Accessible (Microsoft)
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations (WebAIM)
- PDF Accessibility Demystified in 9 Minutes
- Create and Verify PDF Accessibility (Adobe)
- Acrobat DC: Creating Accessible PDFs (LinkedIn Learning)
- Creating Accessible PDFs (WebAIM)
- Cheatsheet for Acrobat Tags
- 6 Steps to Export a more accessible PDF from InDesign
- Full list from Adobe
- Tips for Mapping InDesign Styles to Tags
- Extensive documentation
To be sustainable, content creators at Duke need to know how to make their documents accessible from the start. However, some documents are difficult to remediate and sometimes the quantity is just too high to handle.
WCAG Compliance Inc.
The Duke Web Accessibility Team has researched the market for a quality PDF Remediation vendor. We recommend “WCAG Compliance Inc.” for PDF remediation. In our experience, they have all came back accessible and compliant. We have confidence that their work. We have negotiated a discount for Duke. The price point is very competitive. Plus, our contact there is very easy to work with.
No automated service can make every PDF document perfectly accessible. They should always be retested to ensure compliance. This service works best on simple documents. This service should not be used for complex forms, magazines, and brochures.
This service can help convert a variety of documents into 'tagged' PDF files to improve a document's level of accessibility. No automated service can make a PDF perfectly accessible, but the RoboBraille service (https://www.robobraille.org/web3/duke/) will go through and add Tags as best it can to try to improve the document's level of accessibility.
Document Converter (https://document.online-convert.com/) is a free service that can convert files from DOCX to PDF. The result will be a tagged PDF.